Sunday, September 17, 2006

My Time is Near

Jackie: "Are you hurting, Annie?"

Annie: "It hurts a little, Jackie, but more than that, I just don't feel well anymore. I won't be here with you much longer.....my kidneys aren't working anymore."

Jackie: "What! Where are you going?"

Annie: "Mama is going to take care of me since since I am beginning to suffer."

Jackie: "What is she going to do?"

Annie: "She is going to send me to the Hunting Ground to wait for you and Cookie."

Jackie: "What is the Hunting Ground?"

Annie: "It is a place where dogs go. It is a nice place where dogs can run free over grassy hills and chase rabbits and squirrels. I hope Squirrely Jedi won't mind if I chase squirrels at the hunting ground. I will be respectful."

Jackie: "Oh, I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO! I will be so lonesome for you!"

Annie: "You still have Cookie, and James and Valerie. You are going to be okay. You know, this is a good home. When I lived at the breeder's I dreamed of going to a home and having a family, but I didn't think it would ever happen. It used to make me so sad to see my pups go away to homes and I had to stay in my pen at the breeder's. I remember the first time I saw James, Valerie, Mama and Master Man. They came to look at you....but Mama held me for a long time and said what a nice girl I was. She even said that she wanted to take me instead of you, but the breeder said I had to stay. I was glad you had a good home."

Jackie: "This is a good home."

Annie: "I remember, it was a long time later that Mama came back for me. I couldn't believe that she was coming for me and not another one of my puppies. I didn't think that I was special enough to have a family and people to love, but she took me home."

Jackie: "I remember that day! I was so glad to see you! But you were so scared."

Annie: "I was scared for two reasons. I didn't know how a dog was supposed to behave in the house and I was so afraid that they would get impatient with me and take me back to the breeder's again. I didn't know so many things. I was afraid of the dog door, I didn't know how to walk on a leash, I didn't know where I was supposed to sleep. I just didn't know. But the family was always so kind to me. They took care of me when I was sick, and you know, I have been sick a lot since I came here."

Jackie: "You are part of this family. When you are in a family, that's what they do, they take care of you."

Annie: "It sure has been a good home. I wish I didn't have to go, but I am so looking forward to the Hunting Ground. How good it will be to run and run and run!"

Jackie: "And when my time comes, you will be waiting there for me?"

Annie: "I will meet you right at the gate!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home