Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Missing Annie

Jackie: "I am so lonesome without Annie here. I can smell her on her bed and blanket." Cookie: "I know you can, Jackie. You will smell her for a long time, and that's a good thing. When I smell Annie on the blanket, I think about her."

Jackie: "But Cookie, what are we going to do without Annie?!"

Cookie: "Well, Pup, I'll tell you what we are going to do. We are going to get up out of bed every morning, go outside and patrol the yard perimeter, just like we always do. Then we will enjoy our breakfast and then go lick the kids on the face. We will sun ourselves in the yard and roll around in the good-smelling warm grass. We will chase birds every chance we get and maybe sometime we will catch one. We raid the kitchen trash when the opportunity presents itself and tear up kleenex from the bathroom trash too. In the evening we will have our dinner and sit on laps and enjoy scratches and pets. That is what we are going to do."

Jackie: "Those are all good things, and it doesn't seem right anymore with Annie not here."

Cookie: "There is not an hour that will go by for the rest of our lives that we won't miss Annie. But all of these things are good things. A dog is only here for a sort while before it is time to go to the Hunting Ground. I have known several dogs that have gone on. Even I am going to be going before too many more years have passed--remember, I am twelve years old."

Jackie: "Cookie! I couldn't bear it if you left me too!"

Cookie: "That is why we have to enjoy every day while we are together. When I go to the Hunting Ground, you will get up every morning, just like always and go on with your day. We have time together here yet, and someday there will be other dogs for you to play with. They will be puppies and you will be the old girl. This family believes that there should be at least two dogs in the house so they can keep each other company.

Jackie: "You are good company, Cookie. I am glad you are here with me now."

Cookie: "We will always miss Annie. Always. But I am glad to have you here too, little pal."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home